Date: February 25, 2016
Score: Williams Baptist College 91, Missouri Baptist University 78
Records: WBC (14-10, 12-9 AMC), MBU (18-11, 13-8 AMC)
Location: Petty SRC - St. Louis, Mo.
The Shooting Exhibition:
The Williams Baptist College men's basketball team traveled to St. Louis, Mo., on Thursday afternoon for an American Midwest Conference match against Missouri Baptist University. With the 91-78 victory on Thursday night, WBC swept the season series against the Spartans.
Williams came out of the game firing on all cylinders. At the end of the first half, the Eagles had put up 51 points on 21-of-36 shooting, which included a 9-of-16 effort from behind the arc. E.J. Rucker (JR/Newport, Ark. ) led the team with 20 points in the first frame.
Closing the Door:
WBC started the second half with the same intensity as they closed out the first half and held the largest lead of the game-23 points-with 11:49 left in the contest. Missouri Baptist would not go quietly, however. The talented Spartan team rallied to cut the deficit to a close five points. Williams hit late free-throws to ice the game and the 14th victory of the season.
The Eagles currently sit in sixth place in the AMC standings, one game behind Missouri Baptist University for fifth place. Williams will face St. Louis College of Pharmacy in the final game of the season, while MBU faces a daunting challenge in the first place and 9th ranked Lions of Freed-Hardeman University.
Inside the Individual Numbers:
• E.J. Rucker led all scorers with 27 points, which included 20 in the first half. Rucker went 5-of-7 from the three-point line and 4-of-4 from the free-throw line.
• Tevin Howard (SR/Luxora, Ark.) added another double-double of 18 points and 11 rebounds. This is the tenth game this season Howard has had at least 10+ rebounds in a single game.
• Stanley Malcom (SR/Chicago, Ill.) produced a balanced line of 12 points, eight assists and six rebounds.
• Demoine Brown (JR/Luxora, Ark.) had 12 points on 6-of-13 shooting.
• Reece Dunlap (JR/Doddridge, Ark. ) had 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting and he also grabbed 7 rebounds off the bench.
• Missouri Baptist was led in points by David Gabrovsek. He had 12 points on 6-of-8 shooting.
Inside the Team Statistics:
• Rebounds: WBC (34), MBU (33)
• Points in the Paint: MBU (56), WBC (28)
• Three-Point Shooting: WBC:13-of-26 (50 percent), MBU: 2-of-16 (13 percent)
• Shooting: WBC: 32-of-63 (51 percent), MBU: 31-of-64 (48 percent)
The Eagles will face the Eutectics of St. Louis College of Pharmacy on Saturday, February 27. This is the final regular season contest for Williams. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m., in St. Louis, Mo.
For more updates on the Eagles basketball team, check out www.wbceagles.com