Dates: February 19-20, 2016
Scores: Game One: CMU 9, WBC 8, Game Two: WBC 6, CMU 5, Game Three: CMU 13, WBC 4, Game Four: WBC 4, CMU 1
Records: Williams Baptist College (5-7), Central Methodist University (2-2)
Location: Shell Field - Walnut Ridge, Ark.
The Williams Baptist College baseball team hosted Central Methodist University over the weekend in a four game series of Eagles vs. Eagles. In game one, Williams jumped on the CMU starting pitcher, chasing him after he surrendered seven runs, six earned, in 3.2 innings. However, Central Methodist would rally and score five runs in the final two innings to snatch the 9-8 victory.
In game two, WBC trailed 4-0 after two innings, but would slowly begin to chip away at the CMU lead until the sixth inning. In the sixth, Williams rallied to score four runs and Eagles pitcher Dylan Disotell (SR/Junction City, Ark.) kept Central Methodist in check in the seventh inning to give Williams the 5-4 victory.
CMU came out in the third game of the series with hot bats, as they pounded out 13 runs on 11 hits in the 13-4 victory. In game four, Eagles starter Braxton Rhodes (SO/Fayette, Ala.) went the distance, surrendering only two hits, one earned run, one walk and he posted seven strikeouts. The victory was the second complete game performance for the reigning American Midwest Conference Freshman of the Year.
Inside the Numbers (Series):
• Eric Kent (SR/Ft. Madison, Iowa) went 7-for-14 during the series with four runs scored, five doubles, a homerun and four RBIs. Kent is tied for first place in the NAIA with two other players with 10 doubles.
• Ryan Cupp (JR/Paragould, Ark.) finished 5-for-13 with two runs scored and three RBIs.
• Brennan Pugh (SR/Houston, Miss.) added a 4-for-12 performance with two runs scored, two doubles and three RBIs.
• Braxton Rhodes: (7IP, 1CG, 1W, 2H, 1R, 1ER, 1BB, 7Ks)
• Dylan Disotell: (1W, 3IP, 1H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 2Ks)
• Brad Gilliam: (SO/Greenwood, Ark.): (1.2 IP, 1H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 4Ks)
The Eagles will host Evangel University on Tuesday, February 23. The game is scheduled for a noon start at Shell Field.
For more updates on the Eagles baseball team, check out www.wbceagles.com