Date: February 5-6, 2016
Scores: Game 1: (OU 7, WBC 3), Game 2: (WBC 7, OU 5), Game 3: (WBC 3, OU 0), Game 4: (WBC 2, OU 0)
Records: Williams 3-1, Ottawa University 1-3
Location: Shell Field - Walnut Ridge, Ark.
Ottawa took its first and only game of the series in game one, winning by a final score of 7-3. Ryan Shelton (SR/Brentwood, Tenn.) led the offense with a 3-for-3 performance at the plate and Tucker Smith (SR/Horn Lake, Miss.) went 1-for-3 with a leadoff home run for WBC. The Eagles rebounded nicely in game two and won its first game of the season with a 7-5 decision. WBC had 10 hits in the contest. Shelton added another 3-for-3 performance, which included a home run and two RBIs. Silas Huskey (FR/Harrison, Ark.) added a 1-for-3 day with a pair of RBIs. Dylan Disotell (SR/Junction City, Ark.) earned the win in relief and Brad Gilliam (SO/Greenwood, Ark.) earned his first save by throwing a perfect seventh inning.
The Eagles pitching staff silenced the Braves bats in the next two games of the series 3-0 and 2-0. Michael Ludwig (SR/Heber Springs, Ark.) pitched a complete game three hit shutout in game three. He surrendered three walks and only had seven strikeouts on 89 pitches. Offensively, Braxton Rhodes (SO/Fayette, Ala.) went 2-for-2 with an RBI. Shelton and Smith each added a pair of hits. In game four, Rhodes took the mound and spun a gem, following up Ludwig's effort with a shutout of his own. Rhodes went the distance in the 2-0 win. He gave up only two hits, two walks and tallied double-digits in strikeouts with 10 on 104 pitches. Offensively, Shelton and Scott had RBIs.
Stat of the Series:
On Saturday, Williams posted back-to-back shutouts for the first time since full records were kept, which date back to 2006.
Inside the Box Score, Series Edition:
• Ryan Shelton went 9-for-11 on the weekend, with five runs scored, a home run, three RBIs and two stolen bases. He started the 2016 season with hits in his first seven at-bats. Shelton is currently hitting .818 and slugging 1.273.
• Tucker Smith went 5-for-13 with a home run, two RBIs, two runs scored and two stolen bases.
• Braxton Rhodes went 3-of-8 at the plate with a double and pair of RBIs.
• Pitching Lines: Braxton Rhodes (7IP, 2H, 0ER, 2BB, 10K, 1CG, 1W), Michael Ludwig (7IP, 3H, 0ER, 3BB, 7K, 1 CG, 1W), Dylan Disotell (2IP, 0H, 1ER, 3BB, 2K, 1W), Brad Gilliam (1IP, 0H, 0ER, 0BB, 1K, 1SV)
• Team Stolen Bases: WBC (9-for-9), Ottawa (7-of-10)
• Team Strikeouts (Batting): WBC (19), Ottawa (31)
• Team Hits: WBC (29), Ottawa (19)
• Team Batting Average: WBC (.299), Ottawa (.196)
The Eagles will travel to New Albany, Miss., on Thursday, February 11, for a single game against Blue Mountain College. The Eagles will then travel to Georgia for a four game series against the 8th ranked team in the NAIA, Georgia Gwinnett College.
For more updates on the Eagles baseball team, check out www.wbceagles.com