Date: January 28, 2016
Score: WBC 68, HLGU 61
Records: WBC (12-8, 7-8 AMC), HLGU (7-13, 6-9 AMC)
Location: Southerland-Mabee Center - Walnut Ridge, Ark.
A Historic Night:
Williams Head Coach Carol Halford sealed her 500th career victory on Thursday night in the SMC. She was honored by WBC Director of Athletics Jeff Rider, as well as her team and the fans in a postgame ceremony. She has been coaching at WBC for 32 seasons.
The First Half:
Williams held a slim 14-10 advantage at the end of the first quarter, though both teams were struggling to gain control. The second quarter, however; was a different story. Hannibal-LaGrange came out firing from the start of the period and scored a robust 32 points in the quarter, taking the lead. The Lady Trojans shot 7-of-10 from behind the arc and led 42-30.
The Second Half:
The Lady Eagles came out with a more concerted effort on the defensive end and slowly began to chip away at the Hannibal lead. Williams outscored Hannibal 15-8 in the period, cutting the deficit to only five points. WBC rallied late in the fourth quarter and tied the game at 59-59. Alytrius Perry (JR/Marked Tree, Ark. ) sank a crucial three-pointer to give Williams a 62-59 advantage and its first lead since early in the second quarter. Jasmine Ford (SR/Little Rock, Ark.) would sink a pair of late free-throws to help complete the dramatic comeback.
Quote of the Game:
"I thought our first half defensive effort was poor, but credit to Hannibal for making shots," said WBC Head Coach Carol Halford. She added, "We outscored them 36-8 in the paint, that was huge. Another statistic was second chance points, we had 12 and they had two."
"We had a huge game from Alytrius Perry. Jasmine Ford came up big. She usually comes off the bench, but stepped up big for us as a starter tonight. Andrea had a double-double and I think she will continue to get better. Taylor Williams (JR/Mountain Home, Ark. ) stepped up big with eight rebounds too."
Inside the Box Score:
• Alytrius Perry led all scorers with 22 points for WBC. She went 10-of-21 from the floor and hit big shots in the fourth quarter comeback. Perry also added five rebounds, three assists and two steals.
• Jasmine Ford produced a career-high 17 points. She narrowly missed a double-double as she also added nine rebounds.
• Andrea Moffitt (JR/Lexington, Tenn. ) had a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds.
• Taylor Williams added eight rebounds.
• Hannibal-LaGrange was led by Kenna Greenway. She scored 21 points and went 7-of-13 from behind the arc.
• Fast Break Points: WBC (6), HLGU (0)
• Points in the Paint: WBC (36), HLGU (8)
• Steals: WBC (9), HLGU (5)
The Lady Eagles will host Park University on Thursday, February 4. Williams will look to avenge an earlier 60-46 loss to the Pirates. Tip-off is scheduled for 5:30 p.m., in the SMC.
For more updates on the Lady Eagles basketball team and for live video feeds of the games, check out www.wbceagles.com