Date: January 14, 2016
Score: WBC 75, MBU 74
Records: WBC (6-6, 4-5 AMC), MBU (11-7, 6-4 AMC)
Location: Southerland-Mabee Center - Walnut Ridge, Ark.
The First Half:
Williams gained an early 6-0 lead in the first minute of the contest, but Missouri Baptist responded with hot shooting as a team and led the rest of the period, after the first minute. Although MBU held the lead in the first half, WBC would hang around in the period and trailed 45-39 after the first half.
The Second Half:
WBC slowly began to chip away at the Spartan lead. Both teams did a better job of scoring baskets within the paint in the second half. The Spartans scored 40 of its 74 points in the contest within the paint. Williams fought back to tie the game at 64-64 after Tevin Howard (SR/Luxora, Ark.) made a fast break layup off a Demoine Brown (JR/Luxora, Ark.) assist. MBU's center Isaiah Cotton netted a basket on the other end to give the Spartans a 66-64 advantage, which they held until the last second of the game.
At the Buzzer:
With six seconds left in the game, the Eagles held possession on the far side of the court. After timeouts from both sides, Stanley Malcom (SR/Chicago, Ill.) took the inbounds pass in the backcourt and slowly made his way up the court. Malcom accelerated to his left after entering the frontcourt and drove to the middle of the court just to the left of the top of the key. He pulled up with a fadeaway jumper from just past the free-throw line on the left side and launched the shot in the air. As the lights on the scoreboard flashed, the ball went through the net and gave the Eagles the dramatic victory.
Quote of the Game:
"I was very proud of how hard we played," said Eagles Head Coach Josh Austin. "In my 10 years of coaching, that was one of the best games I have ever had with this group. I can't say enough about Tevin Howard and how hard he played. Stanley knocked down a big shot. It was not how we drew it up." Austin added, "I was proud of the fight we displayed. Missouri Baptist is a tough opponent."
Stat of the Game:
The Spartans held the lead in the game for 37 minutes and 16 seconds.
Inside the Box Score:
• Tevin Howard led the Eagles in scoring with 17 points. He went 6-of-11 from the floor and 3-of-5 from behind the arc. Howard also pulled down seven rebounds.
• Aaron Hamby (SR/Malvern, Ark.) finished with 16 points. He went 6-of-9 from the floor and 4-of-6 from behind the arc.
• E.J. Rucker (JR/Newport, Ark. ) added 15 points. He went 5-of-6 from the free-throw line.
• Demoine Brown contributed with 11 points. He also added four rebounds and four assists.
• Missouri Baptist was led by Chris Buzzell, who finished with a game-high 18 points.
• Team Rebounds: MBU (39), WBC (32)
• Team Assists: WBC (13), MBU (20)
• Team Turnovers: WBC (10), MBU (13)
The Eagles will host St. Louis College of Pharmacy on Saturday, January 15. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m., in the Southerland-Mabee Center.
For more updates on the WBC men's basketball team and for live video streaming of the event, check out www.wbceagles.com
The Dramatic Conclusion:
Watch the game-winning shot here: