Date: January 15, 2016
Score: WBC 77, MBU 65
Records: WBC (9-6, 4-6 AMC), MBU (6-8, 5-6 AMC)
Location: Southerland-Mabee Center - Walnut Ridge, Ark.
The First Half:
WBC's defense locked down the Spartans in the first half. Missouri Baptist only shot 7-of-35 for 20 percent in the frame, compared to 12-of-30 (40 percent) for the Lady Eagles. WBC led 18-9 after the first quarter and edged MBU 20-9 in the second quarter for an early 38-18 lead.
The Third Quarter:
Missouri Baptist would respond after halftime with a stronger scoring effort in the third quarter. The Spartans edged the Lady Eagles 24-18 in the third period by drawing fouls and heating up beyond the arc. Williams responded by a dominant post effort from Andrea Moffitt (JR/Lexington, Tenn. ), Michaela Thompson (SR/Viola, Ark.) and Da'Monique Brown (SO/Luxora, Ark. ). Missouri Baptist's Taylor Klingelhoefer hit a three pointer in the period to record her 1,000th point of her career.
The Fourth Quarter:
The fourth quarter saw both teams trading early baskets and WBC knocking down late key free-throws to seal the victory and snap a five-game losing streak. Although MBU outscored Williams 23-21 in the period, it was not enough to complete the comeback attempt.
Quote of the Game:
"I was proud to see us start on the defensive side of the ball and it carried over to the offensive side as well," said Head Coach Carol Halford. "It was good to see Andrea and Da'Monique contribute with double-doubles. Michaela and Alytrius both reached double-figures, and Alytrius was 8-of-8 from the free-throw line," added Halford.
Stat of the Game:
Free-Throw Shooting: WBC: 20-of-26 (77 percent), MBU: 16-of-28 (57 percent)
Inside the Box Score:
• Andrea Moffitt posted career-highs in both points (20) and rebounds (13) in her double-double performance. She tied for the game-high in points and had the game-high in rebounds.
• Da'Monique Brown posted a double-double of 14 points and 12 rebounds off the bench. She also had a game-high five assists.
• Michaela Thompson had 15 points and six rebounds.
• Alytrius Perry (JR/Marked Tree, Ark. ) added 13 points. She went 8-of-8 from the free-throw line in the contest.
• Missouri Baptist was led by Angela Talley. She had 20 points and seven rebounds off the bench. Jerica Hawkins had a double-double of 13 points and 12 rebounds for MBU.
• Team Rebounds: WBC (50), MBU (44)
• Team Assists: WBC (17), MBU (14)
• Team Turnovers: WBC (16), MBU (14)
500 Win Watch:
With Thursday night's victory, WBC Head Coach Carol Halford picked up her 497th career victory. She is three wins shy of the 500 win plateau.
Williams will host St. Louis College of Pharmacy on Saturday, January 16. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m., in the Southerland-Mabee Center.
For more updates on the Lady Eagles and for live video streaming of the games, check out www.wbceagles.com