Date: January 2, 2016
Score: WBC 73, Lyon 58
Records: WBC (4-4, 2-3 AMC), Lyon (4-8, 1-6 AMC)
Location: Southerland-Mabee Center - Walnut Ridge, Ark.
After trailing for much of the first half, the Eagles were able to recapture the lead. WBC held a 33-27 edge at the end of the first half. Williams then outscored the Scots 40-31 in the second half to take the game and snap a three-game losing streak.
Stat of the Game:
Like the women's contest, turnovers were the difference in the game on the men's side. Williams forced 25 turnovers, which led to 31 points. The Eagles only committed eight turnovers as a team, which led to only six points for the Scots.
Quote of the Game:
"I was proud of Tevin and Reece for holding down the middle. As a team, we shot okay. E.J. really shot well. We had a good comeback from break game," said Eagles Head Coach Josh Austin.
Inside the Box Score:
• E.J. Rucker (JR/Newport, Ark. ) had a strong performance as he tallied 26 points on 9-of-12 shooting from the floor. He went 5-of-6 from behind the arc to lead all scorers in the contest.
• Braxton Gillespie (JR/Olive Branch, Miss. ) had 11 points. He was the only other Eagle to reach double-figures in scoring.
• Aaron Hamby (SR/Malvern, Ark.) added nine points by knocking down a trio of three-pointers.
• Lyon was led by Joe Burt in points (19) and rebounds (12). John Nekonchuk (14), Ty Virden (11) and Riley Jenkins (10) also reached double-figures.
• Rebounds: Lyon (34), WBC (20)
• Team Shooting: Lyon (20-of-36), WBC (25-of-57)
• Steals: Williams (11), Lyon (2)
Williams will host the third ranked Freed-Hardeman University on Tuesday, January 5. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., in the Southerland-Mabee Center.
For more information on the Eagles basketball team and for live video-streaming of tomorrow night's contest, visit www.wbceagles.com